Friday, October 28, 2016

AI-AI DELAS ALAS: BARES HER SOUL IN “AREA”



Playing the role of a has-been prostitute in “Area,” masterfully directed by Louie Ignacio, is a dream role for Ai Ai delas Alas.

Thus, she didn’t need any convincing to accept the role of Hillary. She hit the gym to lose unwanted pounds. She dyed her hair to look like a cheap woman for hire and for the first time, agreed to face the camera sans makeup, the better to make her look old and haggard.

“If in my past movies, I have to look glamorous, for my role as Hillary, I wanted to look arid, unkempt and dirty as if life had been sucked out on me. Because of that, I learned to be not conscious of my acting and how I look. I didn’t mind if they see the wrinkles on my face as well as the signs of ageing. As Direk Louie said, he wanted to see me real. We had an immersion for my role and I studied very well the “peg” of my character of Hillary, whose story was the arc of Area’s interesting narrative.”




Ai Ai bared her “soul,” so to speak. She had a bizarre scene where she had to “service” a Siamese twins who gave her only two cans of sardines as payment. She had a scene taking a bath in her undies. She had a kissing scene with Allen Dizon where the people took notice of her large boobs because she was wearing thinly veiled cloth. Then the she had a scene with an old man (played by Frank Guinto) where it seems she is giving him a “hand job” and she was given an electric fan as payment.

“I really did something out of the ordinary as part of my acting and my character. Why would I make a fuss about doing the lurid scenes when my co-actors threw all their caution into the wind and agreed to do anything for realism’s sake? But I can’t do what Ireen Cervantes did when she showed her shaved pussy in full frontal nudity with pumping? Or with Sue Prado exposing her boobs several times in her love scenes. Or Sarah Brakensiek as “Taba” who went topless in her bathing scene. Or Tabs Sumulong who parted her legs for the vaginal check up? We all did it for the sake of art,” explained Ai Ai with a laugh.




Ai Ai fell in love with Area (there is a real place existing in Pampanga) and she believes, there is no sense or justice for the sad plight these people found themselves into. So during the shoot of “Area,” she brings food for everyone in Area, not just for the film drew and the stars. And she has no qualms even if the place is hot or seems uncomfortable at times.

“I am sad, not only for the women working in ‘Area’ but also sad for the innocent children who had been exposed to such practice. I sure wish they had another choice for their sad plight. But I believe in Our Merciful and I hope that our government can do something to help them. I just want to think positive for them, just like how my character Hillary experienced.”




Ai Ai earned praise for her performance in “Area” and many are saying that this is her
"career defining performance.” Many are also saying that she might win an International Best actress for this film by Louie Ignacio.

“What the people are saying warms my heart. I gave my soul in Area. I feel good because the movie turned out well and it was worth all our effort,” said the box-office queen.



“Area,” written by Robby Tantingco and produced by BG Productions, was given a Grade A Rating by the Cinema Evaluation Board. It won Special Jury Prize at the 12th Eurasia International Film Festival held in Kazakhstan and is an Official Selection at Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival in Estonia. It will be shown in theatres on November 9.




*Text and photosfrom the press release


FULL TRAILER HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment