Thursday, July 4, 2024

Why the 'Red Swan' Korean Drama is such a letdown


I am a Filipino. Sure, I may get mistaken sometimes for Chinese, Korean, or even Japanese, but most my parents are Filipinos.

However, a place is not someone's ethnicity. Therefore, any Filipino, unless he/she is living in isolation, can tell that the purported places in the Philippines were just made up. "Makati Business District" certainly doesn't look like some plaza in an idyllic setting.

Anyway, this is not the reason I dislike 'Red Swan'. I expected so much because Rain is a good actor and the 'Ghost Doctor' was entertaining.

However, the story and direction just felt so dry and cliche. I am doubly disappointed since Disney+ has high standards when it comes to having a series in their library especially Korean dramas.


The story is about a female professional golfer who married into a wealthy family and became a philantropist, ruffling feathers with her charitable works which cause her to become a target for assassination. Rain plays a former policeman who cross paths with her while searching for the hired killer who murdered his friend in cold blood years before, and he gets the inkling that those people after her are connected to that person.

I was only able to finish 49 minutes of episode one because I know that it will just focus on their love story. This is like an inferior version of the 'Blood Free', which is also on the platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment